Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Here's to...

ME, duh. For starting this blog. I don't want to blow you all away, so for my second entry I just want to tell you a little bit (all I know, actually) about the building I'm moving into. It is called The Fenimore, and it has both one- and two-bedroom units. I am renting a two-bedroom on the first floor, and I'm a little jealous of the tenants in 2nd and 3rd floor units because they have a much better view of the river. The building was designed by Roy A. Benjamin, an Ocala-born architect who moved to Jacksonville in 1902. Mr. Benjamin also designed quite a few other notable Jacksonville buildings including the San Marco Theatre, the Riverside Theatre, the Elks Club Building, The Otis Elevator Building, San Juline Apartments... to name a few. He also collaborated with other architects on both the Florida Theatre and Memorial Park (neat!).

Since I just, on a whim, decided to start this blog, I don't have any Fenimore pictures of my own to show you yet... but thankfully, Metro Jacksonville had a post back in December containing photos of the neighborhood... and I just happened to remember it. So, here it is...



My only complaint is the overabundance of greenery outside the building. I'm pretty sure the owner is going for an "english garden" look in the common areas surrounding the building... and not that I know much about gardening, but it appears to be badly overgrown. Pictures of that to come.

1 comment:

maia said...

Fabulous second post!
Fabulous outside photo!
Can't wait to see the inside tonight!